Wednesday, April 15, 2009
"Independent Women" - Reader Response #7
The value that I have learned in the story "Independent Women" by Shay Youngblood about the black women in this community is that most women have a mind of their own; they all have their own particular values that they keep themselves such as Aunt Mae. Aunt Mae has her own values of being independent, even if you have a man a women should still have her own money in her pocket so she can pay for her own things. Mae also values the fact that men always make promises and break the promises so that is why she went to a lawyer and wrote all the things down that Willie Pew promised her. Values that I have learned about life are the same values that Aunt Mae has which are being independent, have a mind of your own, and when a man makes a promise make sure you get it in writing. I also have a value that a woman needs to take care of herself before she starts taking care of someone else.